How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Helen

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Helen » Fri 14 May 2021, 1:28 pm

Someone injured in the bike ramp to the Appleton dock intersection last night about 6 ish. Ambos were loading him onto a gurney at the bottom of the ramp on the Moonee Ponds creek side. Hope he is OK. Ambulance was parked in that scary slip lane at the top - scary
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 18 May 2021, 9:05 am

Quite a nice morning to ride into work. Overcast, but a tad warmer than the last week or so.

victor

Postby victor » Fri 21 May 2021, 8:57 am

The Gardiner's Creek Trail is currently being resurfaced between High Street Rd and Highbury Rd ( https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... eek-trail/ ), and long overdue it is, as it's the bumpiest and most narrow section of the path. The detour is well signposted and easy to use and the works are scheduled to finish by end of June (or so they say).

I also noticed a sign on the Yarra path north of the river, saying it's closed on Wed/Thu next week, I think the works are somewhere between Gosch's Paddock and Loys Paddock? I forgot to check the sign to see if any detour had been mentioned, though. I can't see any mention of this maintenance on the internet.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Fri 21 May 2021, 9:38 am

victor wrote:..SNIP..

I also noticed a sign on the Yarra path north of the river, saying it's closed on Wed/Thu next week, I think the works are somewhere between Gosch's Paddock and Loys Paddock? I forgot to check the sign to see if any detour had been mentioned, though. I can't see any mention of this maintenance on the internet.

Quote Bicycle Network: "Got a detour or road closure that's not on our list? Please send an email to campaigns@bicyclenetwork.com.au."
They may be able to find out the details. How is the new bike going, Victor? I have been hoping for an update.

My commute was excellent this morning. The fog had cleared up by the time I left the house and it did not feel as cold as it looked. Climbing a hill at the start of the ride may have had some warming effect on me. Looks like it should be a beautiful day.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

victor

Postby victor » Fri 21 May 2021, 9:43 am

Matt1 wrote:

Quote Bicycle Network: "Got a detour or road closure that's not on our list? Please send an email to campaigns@bicyclenetwork.com.au."
They may be able to find out the details. How is the new bike going, Victor? I have been hoping for an update.

My commute was excellent this morning. The fog had cleared up by the time I left the house and it did not feel as cold as it looked. Climbing a hill at the start of the ride may have had some warming effect on me. Looks like it should be a beautiful day.

Thanks to a work-sponsored flu vaccination shot I got on Thursday morning last week, I got a very persistent cold, and skipped work the next day, and Monday to Wednesday this week. This meant my plans to pick up the new bike on Saturday were scuppered, so I'm picking it up tomorrow. This is what it looks like, by the way, including the colour:

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 21 May 2021, 11:42 am

Such a nice bike!

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 21 May 2021, 5:17 pm

Very nice Victor!
I had my A-Z shot on Thursday. Although I didn't have much of a reaction the nurse told me to "take it easy for a couple of days". I apologise to anyone stuck behind me on the way to/from work
"The revolution will not be motorised"

victor

Postby victor » Sat 22 May 2021, 12:18 pm

Bike bought and taken home. I'm happy to report that, even though it's a disk braked bike, it weighs the same as the existing rim braked Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4 that I bought 8.5 years ago, which is 9.5kg with all attachments. These are: Garmin + mount, front light + mount, rear light + mount, rear red reflector, 2 bidon cages, a small bell, mini-pump + mount, saddle bag (with spare tubes, multi-tool, and tyre levers), and 1 very loud air horn. Both bikes have these.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 22 May 2021, 12:35 pm

Looks like it will be an awesome ride, Victor. I hope you enjoy it. Great weather for the inaugural ride this weekend, too.

My commute was slow and meandering. I tried to shave my hair off this morning, but the clippers broke down part way through the job :lol: Got plenty of looks whilst out and about. I might just leave it how it is.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

victor

Postby victor » Mon 24 May 2021, 6:36 am

I just did my first ride on the new bike, to work, and it went well. The bike felt good, and my trip time was a bit less than usual.

The only problem was that the new bike doesn't trigger any traffic light sensors, while the older bike triggers them all. No idea why, though, as they're both CF bikes with similar configurations. It's not a big deal, though: I ride to work so early that if traffic lights don't change for me, I just wait an acceptable time, then ride through the intersection anyway, and in the afternoon commutes there's plenty of motor traffic to trigger the sensors.

victor

Postby victor » Mon 24 May 2021, 9:30 am

Matt1 wrote:

I found the details, although the detour isn't that practical: https://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/news/2 ... il-closure
I also misread the dates, it's not 2 days, but an entire month, it's from Tuesday 16 June to Wednesday 15 July. I might just use a completely different route home for that month. At least it's not for another 3 weeks, not next week as I thought. It's also pretty lax of them not to provide this information on a sign at both ends of the route to be blocked.

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Mon 24 May 2021, 6:46 pm

Witnessed the classic distracted driver pose this evening. You know map device in the left hand, steering wheel in the right, head flicking between map and road.

Was a bit of a nostalgia trip though - map device was analogue (a very dog-eared Melway)
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 24 May 2021, 8:57 pm

rgcrgc wrote:Witnessed the classic distracted driver pose this evening. You know map device in the left hand, steering wheel in the right, head flicking between map and road.

Was a bit of a nostalgia trip though - map device was analogue (a very dog-eared Melway)

:lol:

victor

Postby victor » Tue 25 May 2021, 7:58 am

Another dry ride to work on the new road bike, and it's working fine, although the derailleurs weren't 100% properly adjusted by the bike shop, so I'll need to do that on the weekend. This afternoon, the new bike will almost certainly be "baptised" with its first rain.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 25 May 2021, 10:21 am

Blustery ride in.
Got half way to work and realized I didn't fit the rear fender, as planned, for the expected wet ride home. Looks like I'm going to get a wet arse.

Return to “Commuters discussion”