How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
User avatar
mtb101
Posts: 2233
Joined: Mon 20 Mar 2006, 11:27 pm
Location: Any Single Track
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby mtb101 » Fri 30 Apr 2021, 2:21 pm

you're not going to like this response but a left turn on a red into cycle lane is a pretty safe move, in certain circumstances you're at more risk waiting at red as your risk is from behind, where left turner keeps risk in front of them and within their control. its a bit of a pardigm shift in how we think about safety as we've learned this from being in a protected metal can where cyclist has to always maintain safety envelope and I'm with red light running granny on this one. you'll find it aren't uncommon for cyclists to be permitted to turn on red in many jurisdictions.
__________flow................___________

Matt1
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Matt1 » Fri 30 Apr 2021, 5:34 pm

mtb101 wrote:you're not going to like this response but a left turn on a red into cycle lane is a pretty safe move, in certain circumstances you're at more risk waiting at red as your risk is from behind, where left turner keeps risk in front of them and within their control. its a bit of a pardigm shift in how we think about safety as we've learned this from being in a protected metal can where cyclist has to always maintain safety envelope and I'm with red light running granny on this one. you'll find it aren't uncommon for cyclists to be permitted to turn on red in many jurisdictions.


I think it is the ACT or in NSW even cars can turn left on a red (after stopping). The important thing is to look for vehicles/people coming through before entering the intersection, regardless of the light status, or even if it has no lights.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9660
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Canuck » Fri 30 Apr 2021, 8:48 pm

Matt1 wrote:
mtb101 wrote:you're not going to like this response but a left turn on a red into cycle lane is a pretty safe move, in certain circumstances you're at more risk waiting at red as your risk is from behind, where left turner keeps risk in front of them and within their control. its a bit of a pardigm shift in how we think about safety as we've learned this from being in a protected metal can where cyclist has to always maintain safety envelope and I'm with red light running granny on this one. you'll find it aren't uncommon for cyclists to be permitted to turn on red in many jurisdictions.


I think it is the ACT or in NSW even cars can turn left on a red (after stopping). The important thing is to look for vehicles/people coming through before entering the intersection, regardless of the light status, or even if it has no lights.

Turning on red while driving in Canada fairly common, varies by province.
That said, for cycling, I dislike people undertaking to pass in most situations (because many do it badly)

Matt1
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Matt1 » Mon 03 May 2021, 9:57 am

Cool and damp conditions for my commute today. Like most of my commutes in this area I had no near-death experiences on my two wheels, despite the rubbish Jon Faine recently published. How do people justify being paid to write nonsense?
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

victor
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Mon 03 May 2021, 3:54 pm

Matt1 wrote:Cool and damp conditions for my commute today. Like most of my commutes in this area I had no near-death experiences on my two wheels, despite the rubbish Jon Faine recently published. How do people justify being paid to write nonsense?

Some of us haven't been so lucky. That article by Faine isn't that far off the mark.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 03 May 2021, 6:49 pm

Matt1 wrote:Close passing laws have been forgotten already. Nothing threatening but no effort made either. More of a worry is all the idiots using their phone whilst driving, usually out of line with the rest of the traffic making it difficult to ride down the left side of the road. Something I will take note of for the future when trying to predict driver behaviour. Nice weather this arvo for a change and had a good run through the lights, so plenty of positives today.

Just spent 5 days in NSW and hired a clunker to keep some semblance of cycling.
I must say I was surprised how much space NSW drivers gave cyclists compared to what we get here. The difference was chalk & cheese. Perhaps it was because it was on a holiday strip rather than the city, who knows.
I suspect it's just going to take some time (and some enforcement) to get the message across here?
Oh, and I agree, the idiot on the phone is my biggest worry these days.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 04 May 2021, 9:21 am

Damp roads and lots of puddles but no rain this morning.
Still a fair number of people riding to work.

User avatar
Helen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:57 am
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Helen » Wed 05 May 2021, 9:24 am

you're not going to like this response but a left turn on a red into cycle lane is a pretty safe move, in certain circumstances you're at more risk waiting at red as your risk is from behind, where left turner keeps risk in front of them and within their control. its a bit of a pardigm shift in how we think about safety as we've learned this from being in a protected metal can where cyclist has to always maintain safety envelope and I'm with red light running granny on this one. you'll find it aren't uncommon for cyclists to be permitted to turn on red in many jurisdictions


Sorry if I was not clear. I am not a noob and I fully support the above. However criticising someone for "slow" riding when approaching a red light is a terrible excuse for dangerous riding IMO
"The revolution will not be motorised"

User avatar
Helen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:57 am
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Helen » Wed 05 May 2021, 9:28 am

Had to leave my Ortlieb pannier on my locked-up bike this morning because I got one of the handles trapped under the clips again.
I've done this before but this time nothing is going to budge it
there are holes on the clip for a multi-tool but trying to loosen it didn't seem to change anything
If anyone knows of a mobile bike service or bike shop in the CBD which knows about Ortlieb I'd be very grateful :(
"The revolution will not be motorised"

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 05 May 2021, 12:49 pm

First real fresh morning of the year. 5C for the ride to work. Beautiful.

Matt1
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Matt1 » Wed 05 May 2021, 4:53 pm

Not much riding lately for myself due to medical issues, but I did get a short ride in this arvo. Fantastic weather for it. I did notice plenty of cars pulling out from parking spaces and side streets into the car traffic without giving way properly, but I was left to ride in peace myself. Probably a residual point of salience from the Jon Faine article, since I don't normally pay attention to the problems others are having in traffic that much.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9660
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Canuck » Thu 06 May 2021, 11:19 am

After a couple of days of migraine fun, today I got to ride to work. Beautiful morning for it. I walked the Boy to school along with my bike, then hopped on and went. It's such a short walk, not worth him riding!!

User avatar
Helen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:57 am
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Helen » Thu 06 May 2021, 11:47 am

Spotted on Pearl River road on the way to work today: A large group of 65+ ladies (some maybe 70+) all kitted out on very profesh looking road bikes. Inspiring!
Very happy about the fitness level maintained throughout 2020 lockdown. The fatness seems to have increased (huh) but not at the expense of cruising up hills it seems.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9660
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Canuck » Thu 06 May 2021, 6:16 pm

Good ride home, albeit incredibly short. But that's just the commute these days,. What ha get for choosing to live near workplace.
Enjoying this second burst of warmer weather again. Winter nears, yet it's been pretty good out there!!

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 06 May 2021, 6:47 pm

And all of a sudden the ****-head drivers return.
Had several incidents this morning and evening. Just numbskulls.


Return to “Commuters discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests