How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Matt1

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Matt1 » Fri 02 Apr 2021, 12:22 pm

Perfect weather for riding this morning. I rode to the supermarket, which turned out to be closed all day, so it was a futile exercise other than being an opportunity for some fresh air. I tried to remove a tree branch from the bike path on the Nepean Hwy but barely managed to budge it. Futility intensifies.
Still posting. Still riding.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Mon 05 Apr 2021, 10:45 am

My commute was more fruitful than futile today. Literally speaking, I acquired an orange and a banana. Tree branch was still down on Nepean Hwy path, which did not surprise me although I did not bother to bring a hand saw with me today on the off chance it had already been removed. It was a pleasant, meandering ride through the back streets of suburban Melbourne. Public holiday + school holidays = limited motor traffic.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 06 Apr 2021, 9:05 am

Nice to have some light for the ride in today.
Of course that means it's going to be dark on the way home ;)
Quite pleasant conditions. My bike has developed a serious creak from the BB, I need to get it replaced.

victor

Postby victor » Tue 06 Apr 2021, 9:16 am

Claude Cat wrote:Nice to have some light for the ride in today.
Of course that means it's going to be dark on the way home ;)
Quite pleasant conditions. My bike has developed a serious creak from the BB, I need to get it replaced.

I just "solve" that by riding to work at stupid-o'clock, and it was still dark when I arrived today. Then my ride home gets me there at roughly 5:30pm, so it's still light by then.

victor

Postby victor » Wed 07 Apr 2021, 8:17 am

I wonder how many inexperienced cyclists start riding along the Box Hill to Ringwood shared path, then find out they have to ride along 1km of Laburnum St, and never ride that shared path again? :roll:

As an experienced cyclist, I can handle it, but after a week of riding along Laburnum St then on to the remainder of the shared path to Ringwood, I couldn't help noticing how impatient the motorists are along that street. The local council have made a big deal of how cyclist-friendly it's supposed to be, citing the 40km/h speed limit and sharrows, but in reality it's a street with parked cars on both sides, and impatient motorists threading through the middle. These motorists are more than willing to unsafely overtake cyclists just to shave a second or two off their trip times.

If I was accompanying young children, I'd never take them along this street. The Box Hill to Ringwood shared path might as well just be the Laburnum Station to Ringwood shared path, because the Box Hill to Laburnum section is completely isolated from the rest of the shared path.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 07 Apr 2021, 9:20 am

It's Ninja time of year. Far too many riding home in the dark, no lights, without a care in the world.
Not sure if they are more dangerous than those that ride their unlicensed motorbikes at 45 kph on the bike path.
Of course there are some that do both at the same time ;)

victor

Postby victor » Thu 08 Apr 2021, 7:26 am

Might as well enjoy your bicycle commuting while you still have a chance. The hotel quarantine system has just resumed, and based on previous iterations will probably result in another infection spread and lockdown.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 08 Apr 2021, 3:12 pm

victor wrote:Might as well enjoy your bicycle commuting while you still have a chance. The hotel quarantine system has just resumed, and based on previous iterations will probably result in another infection spread and lockdown.

We were cynically betting on how long it would be before community transmission had us back in masks 24/7.

victor

Postby victor » Thu 08 Apr 2021, 7:49 pm

I'm still continuing my 36km commutes home via the Gardiner's Creek path, and my feeling while riding in the high 20s sunny afternoon today, past the barely-moving cars on the Monash "Carpark", can best be summed up with one word: schadenfreude. :mrgreen:
Also, I'm pretty sure that if those motorists who are physically capable of cycling, and didn't have other commitments requiring cars, took to their bicycles instead of that freeway from hell, the traffic on that freeway might actually start moving faster. But try convincing them of that...

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Fri 09 Apr 2021, 3:16 pm

victor wrote:I'm still continuing my 36km commutes home via the Gardiner's Creek path, and my feeling while riding in the high 20s sunny afternoon today, past the barely-moving cars on the Monash "Carpark", can best be summed up with one word: schadenfreude. :mrgreen:
Also, I'm pretty sure that if those motorists who are physically capable of cycling, and didn't have other commitments requiring cars, took to their bicycles instead of that freeway from hell, the traffic on that freeway might actually start moving faster. But try convincing them of that...

Schadenfreude is an interesting word: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dewe ... acJudgChar

If the motorists weren't on the freeway, what interest would they have in making it move freely? I think people develop fixed ways of looking at the world and limit their actions or behaviours accordingly. We live in a society reluctant to reflect and question the commonly held norms. Why drive to work? Why bother travelling to work, if we can work from home? Why even work at all?

victor

Postby victor » Fri 09 Apr 2021, 5:33 pm

Matt1 wrote:
victor wrote:I'm still continuing my 36km commutes home via the Gardiner's Creek path, and my feeling while riding in the high 20s sunny afternoon today, past the barely-moving cars on the Monash "Carpark", can best be summed up with one word: schadenfreude. :mrgreen:

Schadenfreude is an interesting word: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dewe ... acJudgChar

If the motorists weren't on the freeway, what interest would they have in making it move freely? I think people develop fixed ways of looking at the world and limit their actions or behaviours accordingly. We live in a society reluctant to reflect and question the commonly held norms. Why drive to work? Why bother travelling to work, if we can work from home? Why even work at all?

There's always the scenario of motorists cycling to work some days, driving on others. Then they'd certainly have an interest in making the traffic move more freely. It's not always just one or the other. I'm speaking hypothetically, though: I don't drive.

As for the whole question of commuting to and from work: I'm lucky enough to work for a large multinational company that supports flexible working arrangements, and for months now, many of us have been working about 3 days in the office and 2 at home each week. Not me, though: I need the commuting routine to keep me motivated to continue the cycling, and so I specifically requested to be at the office every working day. I've been back at the bicycle commuting for 4 weeks now, since moving back to the Ringwood area (Ringwood East, now), and I'm loving my commutes! :D They're fairly lengthy: the daily round trip is 64km now, more than I've ever done before for commuting, but I'm getting used to it, and I'm trying to forget that I spent most of 2020 not cycling.

Return to “Commuters discussion”