How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Danton

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Danton » Fri 22 Nov 2019, 8:55 am

Had to go around four trees that had fallen across the path last night on my extended commute, three on the Merri and one on the Darebin Nth of the Ring road. This morning there was another on the Darebin, Sth of the Ringroad.

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Fri 22 Nov 2019, 1:13 pm

last night's ride home was great with the tailwind, the only incident was a snake (baby tiger i reckon) on the darebin creek trail - first sighting for the season. i didn't have the front camera on and stopped about 2 metres away to let it cross, trying to decide whether to turn the bike around to catch it with the rear camera. decided against it, but felt glad for my overly cautious approach to that particular stretch of trail where i've seen snakes pretty consistently over the years!
Clipperton plays tennis with the Glock 17 held steadily to his left temple.

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Fri 22 Nov 2019, 8:59 pm

Mild and fairly still this morning after yesterday's wildness. Plenty of tree debris on the side of the road though. Sunny with a light head wind for the ride home - good stuff :)

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 22 Nov 2019, 9:17 pm

Traffic pretty banked up in Port Melbourne.
Almost, almost got left hooked by an impatient driver who made a last minute decision to take a short cut through Bunnings.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 9:37 am

An absolute belter for a morning commute today. Plenty busy on the bike trails.
More works at the crossing of Yarra Promenade and Queensbridge, so that shit-fight will continue for at least another week based upon the pace of the work.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 9:47 am

today, ... riding to work, beauuutiful.
__________flow................___________

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 11:40 am

Claude Cat wrote:More works at the crossing of Yarra Promenade and Queensbridge, so that shit-fight will continue for at least another week based upon the pace of the work.

I rode through when they were still rearranging the fencing... I accidentally rode through the work site and almost fell into the 2ft deep hole :shock:

At least all of the fugly concrete blocks will be gone when the bollards are finished.
Reaching new levels of softness!

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 1:14 pm

Snuffy wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:More works at the crossing of Yarra Promenade and Queensbridge, so that shit-fight will continue for at least another week based upon the pace of the work.

I rode through when they were still rearranging the fencing... I accidentally rode through the work site and almost fell into the 2ft deep hole :shock:

At least all of the fugly concrete blocks will be gone when the bollards are finished.

At least the bike crossing is relatively direct now. Of course that means the Peds will also cross at the bike crossing. Suspect it will be mayhem tonight.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 7:29 pm

Slightly cooler this afternoon. Strangely, headwind on the way home, and it felt slow, even though the wind was quite slight.

smitty

Postby smitty » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 7:22 am

Got a bit wet this morning but it didn't rain hard
I tend to take it easy when the conditions are not good
can't say the same for those driving still full steam ahead

Helen

Postby Helen » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 9:06 am

Raining heavily this morning so I took all my spare stuff to change into dry clothes at work. By the time I got to the end of my street I was well wet. But by the time I got into work I had dried out!
Winning.
I don't think I have had to deploy the spare dry things all year despite us getting much better rain than other parts of Aus. Part of it is due to the magic of mudguards :lol:
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 9:35 am

It tried to rain on the way for me, but failed miserably.
Roads and paths mostly dry; it seemed that most fair-weather riders had given it a break today.

vk3dgn

Postby vk3dgn » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 1:17 pm

Excellent commutes Mon/Tues (so far). Blackburn to Richmond via Koonung Creek, MYT, Boulevard
Discovered my bike seat was too low; put it up 5cm and ride easier and/or quicker although it's now a bit tricky putting my foot down when stopping.

David

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 3:40 pm

Was out with the flu for last week, and still feeling gingerly Monday, so decided to put proof into the claim I constantly make about I could just ride to work at a level similar to walking.

So to/from work my avg heart rate was 117bpm with a max of 127bpm and it was 30minutes each way (including stops). Super easy not exhausting, but I had to ABSOLUTELY had to sit back and let people go past me. Something i'm not super used to. :lol:
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 7:27 pm

Yeh, sitting back and forcing yourself to ride a relaxed pace, and letting others go past is extremely hard to do.
I know, after many big weekend rides, I think to myself that I'll just cruise in to work. Can't do it! :lol:

Very blustery ride home today. Mostly a cross wind, fortunately.

Return to “Commuters discussion”